Permitting Process

Most, if not all work, requires a permit in the Town of Westlake. Below are the requirements for various permits and any documentation required upon submittal. 

6. Submittal Processes-Building Permit Process
  1. Commercial
  2. Residential

Commercial Permits

Documents Required

Typical documents required at the time of submittal include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Site Plan
  • Building Plan Set
  • Drainage/Grading Plans
  • Wall Bracing Plans
  • Engineered Foundation Plans & Design Letter
  • Tree Conservation/Mitigation Plans
  • Energy Compliance Report
  • Landscape Plans


  • All permits must be submitted online through MyGov
  • A plan review fee is required at the time of submittal

Certificates of Occupancy

  • All tenants must fill out a certificate of occupancy before moving in

Dental Office Requirements

Dental Offices that discharge wastewater that contains dental amalgam to the sanitary sewer must install, inspect, and maintain a dental amalgam separator. Mercury fro waste amalgam can end up in the environment from Publicly Owned Treatment Works (POTW) through incineration, land filling, or land application. Dental Offices must fill out the OTCR Dental Dischargers Form upon application for a dental office building, finish-out, or CO. 

For more information view the following New Dischargers Packet.

Miscellaneous Permits

Below are the requirements for the most common miscellaneous permits. Click on each to reveal the documents required upon submission of each permit. Please visit the MyGov portal to learn more about other permits that may not be listed below.

  1. Driveways
  2. Fences / Walls
  3. Food Trucks
  4. Irrigation
  5. MEPs
  6. Pools
  7. Roofs
  8. Wells

Driveway/Approach Permits

  • Dimensional Control Plan
  • Paving Plans
  • Grading Plans
  • Drainage Plans
  • NCTCOG/Westlake Driveway Details
  • Horizontal/Vertical Control