Golf Cart Rules
The Keller Police Department has outlined the state laws below to help residents better understand the rules about using golf carts in Westlake.
According to the law:
- You can use a golf cart on a public road only when the posted speed limit is less than 35 miles per hour.
- The cart must also be operated during the daytime and not more than two miles from the golf course for the purpose of going to or coming from the golf course (Transportation Code 551.403).
- Carts are not permitted for other types of trips near the golf course, even if you are utilizing the cart within the two-mile range of the golf course.
- You must have a driver’s license to operate a golf cart.
- Driving on a sidewalk or public trail is strictly prohibited.
Failure to adhere to these laws is a ticketable offense.
Private neighborhood streets come with a different set of rules. Golf carts that are owned by Vaquero Club, and issued to residents, can be driven within the roads of Vaquero but are not allowed outside of the gates of the neighborhood. In our other gated communities in town, you may drive them on the private roads; however, the driver still has to have a license.
At the end of the day, with the growth and additional traffic Westlake is currently seeing, it is increasingly important to follow the law for your safety and others around you.
If you have any questions about golf cart laws within the Town of Westlake, contact the Keller Police Department on their non-emergency number, 817.743.4500.